Best Clippers for Poodles
Author: Vicki Smirnova
Vicki S. is a professional writer and editor who adores animals and helps readers get along well with their pets. Vicki has been working in digital media for more than 5 years and has great experience writing content about lifestyle, including pets. Vicki specializes in dog health and nutrition, cat feeding, dog training. She is an aquarium lover and is passionate to write about fish care at home. Also, Vicki headed several websites and worked as a news editor.View all 78 articles Learn about our editorial process and veterinary review board.
Updated on: 01/08/2021
Today, we can meet people on the street who are walking dogs with quite fashionable hairdos. Some owners express themselves this way, while others consider cutting their pet’s fur an integral necessity, especially if the animal has a long coat that makes its life uncomfortable. Recently, more and more specialized dog hairdressers, where owners can put their dog’s appearance in order, have opened.
However, the cost of services in such establishments can be quite high, so not every owner of a four-legged friend can afford to use them, especially if they own a dog that requires regular grooming, such as a poodle.
The poodle is a decorative French dog bred for hunting on the water. In the XXI century, the working qualities of the breed faded into the background. Due to its high intelligence, loyal character and artistry, the dog gained wide popularity and moved into the group of companion animals. 
The main feature of the breed is the absence of molting, which requires mandatory grooming. Molting is a natural process that frees the coat from dead hair follicles. Without regular combing, the hair rolls down and forms tangles.
The pretentious look of most poodle’s haircuts is not due to aesthetics. When hunting, the animal should be safe and comfortable, so its appearance has the following attributes:
- Pompom on the tail, which protects against thorns
- Forelock on the head, tied with a ribbon and does not interfere with the tracking of prey
- Mane on the chest, preventing hypothermia in an icy pond
- Bald paws that facilitate movement when swimming
Now that the poodle is no longer used for hunting, the grooming procedure has acquired a slightly different necessity. A shorn poodle is less likely to suffer from dermatological and ophthalmological diseases. Timely removal of hair protects the skin from irritation, and trimmed bangs do not spoil vision.
To make the dog always look neat and attractive, many people buy the best grooming tools for poodles. In pet stores, you can find many such products, but such a wide range makes it difficult to choose the optimal product.
What are the Best Poodle Grooming Clippers?
Caring for poodle’s hair involves performing grooming, which can be successfully carried out in salons and at home. But to do this, you first need to choose the best clippers for poodle grooming. For this purpose, you can use one of the hair clippers’ models from our rating. Before choosing a particular model it is best to research its advantages and disadvantages, features and subtleties.
The following rating of dog clippers will help you navigate the variety of models and brands to choose the best device.
1. Andis 22340 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper
Your dog will be able to withstand a haircut with ease, thanks to the AGC2 clipper with a removable blade from Andis. This powerful clipper is suitable for processing wool and undercoat. Therefore, you can easily cut your own furry friend at home. This is the universal system you’ve been waiting for!
The powerful clipper has two speeds – 2700 or 3400 movements per minute. This device is also equipped with an on/off lock so that your pet is safe during the haircut. The removable blade system offers various length options and works with all ultra edge and ceramic edge blades.
- Detachable blades and removable drive cap.
- Multi-breed/fur type.
- A locking switch ensures that the clipper won’t shut off during use.
- Multi-breed/fur type.
- Features a 14-ft, heavy-duty cord so you can move around as needed.
- Long cord and two speeds.
- Quiet operation.
- Chrome finish blades.
- None that we can think of.
2. Wahl Arco Cordless Clipper
The exceptionally powerful Wahl Arco cordless clipper is very quiet and vibration-free! This clipper is sold complete with battery packs, a charging stand, cleaning brush, blade oil, protective casing and a padded storage case. Also included is an operating manual.
Two units allow you to use the clipper – even if one battery is low. One battery will last for 160 minutes of operation. Besides, this clipper works very quietly, which can be especially useful if your dog is afraid of loud sounds and buzzing. Wahl Arco Cordless Clipper can fight even with matted and knotted fur.
- 80 minute run time per battery.
- Includes 2 batteries and a storage case.
- 5500 strokes per minute
- Lightweight and cordless.
- 75 minute charge time per battery.
- Cordless clippers will still struggle with tough jobs.
3. Oster A5 Turbo 2-speed Pet Clipper
This wired, powerful, professional animal clipper has a universal rotary motor with 2 speeds. At the first speed, 3000 movements per minute are performed, and the second – 4000 movements per minute. This model is compatible with all removable Oster cryogenx blades.
This 2-speed poodle clipper is perfect for home use. Many professional dog handlers and veterinarians use this machine for dog grooming. You can adjust the speed yourself, depending on what intensity you need
- Turbo powered for higher strokes per minute and 2 speeds.
- Durable and resilient to clip.
- Limited edition designs.
- Quiet running and reliable motor.
- Virtually unbreakable.
- Not budget-friendly.
4. Dog Shaver Clipper Low Noise
This clipper has a noise level of about 50 dB. Before using, make sure that your pet feels comfortable throughout the grooming process.
The clipper has a fixed, stainless steel blade. This device provides excellent performance and long service life. Since the device has a battery, it can be used without wires and may be used when charging.
The removable blade is easy to clean, which ensures maximum versatility of care. The kit includes stainless steel scissors, stainless steel comb, oil bottle and 6 guide tips.
- Rechargeable dog trimmer with built-in Li-ion battery is good for exceptional flexibility.
- Upgrade stainless steel fixed blade and ceramic moving blade can provide excellent cutting performance.
- The noise 50 dB.
- Low vibration and ultra-quiet design.
- Safe and sharp blade.
- Shorter work time.
5. Wahl KM5 Rotary
The Wahl KM5 Rotary clipper, developed in Germany, has excellent performance. This device is equipped with a two-speed rotating motor that provides exceptional power and torque for long service life. The Wahl KM5 Rotary is virtually maintenance-free and is ideal for use on all types of wool.
The lightweight, ergonomic design provides superior comfort and control with minimal vibration. 14-foot cord provides plenty of room to move around while working.
- The durable, two-speed rotary motor operates at 3000 and 3500 strokes per minute.
- The ergonomic design weighs just 13 ounces.
- Constant speed control ensures consistent power delivery.
- Ergonomic design makes them easy to hold and use.
- 14-foot cord provides plenty of room to move while working.
- Lightweight with superior comfort.
- There are more powerful clippers available.
Basic Essentials to Dog Groom
6. Bousnic Dog Clippers
The Bousnic dog clipper kit allows you to take care of your standard poodles at home on your own. This excellent, silent, and affordable dog grooming device works safely. The clipper has 2 speeds and ultra-sharp blades. it doesn’t matter if your dog has a straight or a short coat – Bousnic is perfect for cutting all hair types.
The clipper has a low vibration and noise level of < 50 dB. The built-in 2200mAh Li-ion battery provides long-lasting performance. You can quickly charge the battery with a USB cable.
- Skin-friendly pet clippers are whisper-quiet and has a very low vibration.
- 4 combs with different lengths.
- 2-speed levels and the ultra-sharp stainless steel and ceramic blades will groom its fur and create a flawless result.
- Includes a cleaning brush.
- It has a built-in 2200mAh Li-ion battery.
- Includes a USB cable.
- Fur can get clogged easily.
Top of the Range
7. Pet Union Professional Dog Grooming Kit
The Pet Union kit is sold complete with all the necessary accessories for self-grooming. The handle’s quiet motor and comfortable shape allow you to use this device even with the most skittish puppies. This clipper is portable and powerful.
Convenient attachments with which this clipper is sold will help to entirely process any wool length. Blade cleaners are also included, making it one of the most versatile kits on the market. This kit also comes with an excellent blade, and the entire unit itself carries a lifetime warranty for its use.
- Precision motor ensures whisper-quiet operation and a stress-free grooming experience.
- Grooming is a breeze for even the hardest-to-reach areas.
- Pet Union’s grooming combs are contoured for the most skin-friendly grooming experience.
- Ergonomic design.
- Rechargeable battery.
- The blade itself is titanium but the adjustable blade looks to be plastic.
Best Ceramic Blade
8. Andis Easy Clip Blue Versa Clipper Kit for Dogs
The EasyClip clipper is a mid-range device. Both beginners and professional groomers can use this device. This set has everything you need for a haircut at home. The kit includes 6 nozzles with which you can process any type of wool. The noise and vibration level on this device are low, so your dog will not be afraid of a haircut.
The power of 3700 spm is not regulated. Another interesting feature of this device is the hard carrying case that comes with it. The kit makes it easy to carry all your gear together while traveling to keep it compact and tidy.
- Comes with stainless-steel shears in a soft zippered storage case.
- Interchangeable blades for clipping and trimming.
- Cool and quiet running motor for less stress on you and your pet.
- Features 4 safeguard combs.
- Quick-release button for easy switch-outs.
- Instruction DVD included.
- You can’t adjust the speed.
9. Aeolus MC-680 Rechargeable Pet Clipper
This clipper, with a minimalistic design, will provide comfortable care for your dog. Easy and convenient to use, the clipper has a thin, cylindrical shape and a wide cutting range (from 0.8 mm to 12.7 mm).
Each clipper is sold complete with removable attachments. The 2000 ma Li-ion battery provides 4 hours of operation without recharging. This excellent clipper also has a panel that shows the speed, remaining battery life and oil status.
- These combs pair with the size 10 adjustable blade (0.8mm – 2mm) and also 4 other blade sizes.
- Slim cylinder shape and a wide-cut range from 0.8mm to 12.7mm.
- Each clipper comes with detachable combs included.
- A 2000mA high-performance lithium-ion battery.
- Easy to grip.
- Quite expensive.
10. Wahl Deluxe U-Clip Pet Clipper Kit
The Wahl grooming kit contains everything you need to take care of your pet’s fur at home. The Wahl Deluxe U-Clip is ideal for regular independent grooming of dogs, regardless of the coat’s length and thickness.
The high speed of up to 7,200 movements per minute makes the haircut easy and fast. Additionally, this clipper works almost silently. The 16-piece kit offers standard adjustable blade # 30-15-10 (Wahl # 1037-400) and includes all the tools you need to cut and care for your pet. the clipper and blades are made in the United States from domestic and imported parts.
- Measures 6. 5″ x 2″ and weighs 1 pound.
- Includes all the tools needed to clip, trim and groom your pet.
- The clipper and blade are made in the USA.
- Ideal for clipping, trimming and grooming fine to medium animal hair and fur for dogs.
- 200 strokes per minute make clipping quick and easy.
- This clipper provides substantial power and speed without producing additional heat or noise.
- Short shelf life.
Our main recommendation for the best poodle clippers is Andis 22340 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper for poodle grooming. This powerful clipper provides an excellent balance between performance and price. Andis 22340 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper does a great job with any wool with the right blade. If you need a professional pet grooming machine, then Andis is a great choice.
Different Types of Clippers for Poodles
The poodle clipper can be equipped with an electric motor and a particular knife block, but there are also mechanical products. Keep in mind that poodle hair is very different from human hair, so trimmers designed for humans will not be suitable for animals. If you neglect this advice, you can severely damage both the coat itself and the skin of your pet.
Mechanical trimmers are designed for regular use. These clippers are very convenient to work in hard-to-reach areas on the animal’s body; for example, on the paws, behind the ears or in the eyes. This device is equipped with quite sharp knives, and a large number of attachments that come with the product are designed for long continuous operation.
The electric machine will be most suitable for owners of animals with long hair. The device is equipped with a unique cooling system. 
The vibration design operates based on a motor located inside, ensuring the device’s operation for about half an hour. The product is most suitable for small breeds of dogs, such as the poodle. The battery charge is on average enough for one and a half to two hours of continuous operation.
The rotary machine is a professional product and it will be quite expensive. Noise during operation is quite acceptable, and the air cooling and battery life are quite long. The equipment is optimally suited for dogs of large breeds.
READ MORE: Best Way to Travel With a Dog
To choose a dog grooming machine, you need to evaluate the type of use, how many animals to cut and how often per day or month; you can choose among models that offer different haircutting options.
If you are looking for a dog grooming machine for grooming at home, you need a professional kit. These machines belong to the top of the range and therefore have the highest prices. The price is compensated by the quality of the product, so you never have to replace it.
The quality of the knives affects the ease of use and speed of execution. The best on the market are made of steel-reinforced with alloys containing a high carbon percentage to ensure long service life. If the blades are resistant to rust and chemicals, they will last much longer. The blade must be well sharpened, and to ensure high performance, it must be cleaned after each use and periodically disassembled and washed.
No one thinks about dropping the clipper, but it can happen, so an impact-resistant coating guarantees that the clipper will not break. It is also worth evaluating the case’s water-resistance; for some, it is a necessary element, and for others, it is an absolutely useless characteristic.
READ MORE: What Shots do Puppies Need?
How to Groom a Poodle with Clippers
If you follow the instructions’ simple steps, then a poodle haircut at home will be no worse than a professional one.
First, prepare the necessary accessories:
- High-quality dog clipper with sharp blades.
- Sharp scissors
You should use a well-lit place, and, the main thing in all this is the poodle itself. You need to make your pet stands still during the entire haircut.
Fix the poodle on the table. This can be done with a unique collar or a regular leash. The dog does not even need to be tied.
Before starting, wash the poodle with shampoo, then dry with a towel. After that, you need to comb the animal’s hair. Be careful not to hurt the dog.
First, you need to trim its head and neck. Secure the pet’s head and move the clipper. Then, raise the pet’s head and clip the neck.
Then, firmly take the paw of the poodle and cut the fur on all sides. After that, gently raise the tail and cut the hair between the legs. Next, you need to cut the pet’s belly. To do this, put your pet on its back legs and treat the area.
READ MORE: Can Dogs be Vegan
ᐉ How often should poodles get groomed?
Starting from 2-3 months, the poodle should be regularly cut at least once every 2-3 months with an electric or mechanical clipper.
ᐉ Can you use human clippers on poodles?
Human’s clippers are not suitable for dogs, as the engine power is too high. The animal can get scared.
ᐉ What happens if you don’t groom a poodle?
The hair can get so matted it cuts off circulation to a limb, causing it to die.
ᐉ How do I stop my poodle’s fur from matting?
Use your fingers to separate the larger mats, then slowly clip the pet. To prevent future matting, brush your dog’s fur at least once a week.
- “Poodle Dog Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts.” DogTime, 1 May 2020, dogtime.com/dog-breeds/poodle.
- Moyer, Liz. In Pet Grooming, a Growing Business and a Competitive Landscape (Published 2017). 3 May 2017, nytimes.com/2017/05/03/business/pets-grooming-dogs.html.
ThePets is an informational website that features articles written by qualified veterinarians and professional writers. You can learn more about our editorial process. When selecting food for your pet, use Pet Food Finder, and search for the clinic to treat your pet using Vet Clinics Locator.
You May Also Like
TOP-20 Best Small Breed Puppy Food
TOP 25 Best Dry Dog Foods
Dr. Linda Simon
TOP-15 Best Automatic Cat Feeders 2021
Best Puppy Food – 2021 Reviews
Dr. Sara Ochoa
Best CBD Oil for Dogs
TOP-20 Best Dry Puppy Food
Best Senior Dog Food: Review
TOP-10 Best Aquarium Canister Filters