Best Cat Water Fountain
Author: Vicki Smirnova
Vicki S. is a professional writer and editor who adores animals and helps readers get along well with their pets. Vicki has been working in digital media for more than 5 years and has great experience writing content about lifestyle, including pets. Vicki specializes in dog health and nutrition, cat feeding, dog training. She is an aquarium lover and is passionate to write about fish care at home. Also, Vicki headed several websites and worked as a news editor.View all 78 articles Learn about our editorial process and veterinary review board.
Updated on: 12/23/2020
For the health of your pet, you need high-quality food and abundant drink. Pet owners are often baffled by the search for the best for their four-legged friends. But did you know that the vast majority of domestic cats are chronically short of water? Lack of water in the diet can lead to a variety of problems, from urolithiasis to kidney damage.
For watering cats, there are many types of best water fountains for cats, and not all of them are universally applicable. This diversity of best cat drinking fountain is explained not only by the size of the pet, but also by their behavioral characteristics and the way they are kept. All best cat fountains can be divided into three types:
- Bowls/waterers. Universal devices for cats and kittens of any age and size. Water flows down the gutter or wall in a small trickle and falls into the bowl. Thanks to the predominantly light construction, these are easy to move or overturn.
- Double-automatic watering fountains. These are a two-level structure, similar to a small fountain. These devices hold a lot of water and are suitable for those with several cats or small dogs at home at once. The device features a low noise level.
- Dome drinking fountains. Using a small pump, the water is pushed out and flows down the dome into the reservoir. This provides multiple drinking points at once.
Automatic water fountains are much more convenient and practical than conventional bowls. A huge advantage is that most cats prefer to drink running water – the kind that pours or flows. Besides, thanks to constant circulation, water does not stagnate or deteriorate over time. In more expensive models, there are special cleaning and antibacterial filters that can reduce the risk of poisoning your pet.
Most models of the best cat water dispensers are equipped with special multi-level systems for water filtration. They clean the liquid from small pieces of feed, dust, and harmful bacteria. Filters will have to be changed sooner or later, so it is better to choose water fountains with available cartridges. They must be sold in your city and have an acceptable price. Also, make sure that you can replace the cartridge without assistance. If you have more than one cat, you need to provide enough resources for each ‘social’ group of cats. 
Best Water Fountains for Cats
In this chart, we gathered the best 10:
Our Top Pick
1. PetSafe Drinkwell Stainless Multi-Pet Dog and Cat Water Fountain
Our Runner-Up Pick
2. Cat Mate Pet Fountain
3. Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer w/ Microban
4. Pecute Cat Water Fountain
5. Catit Flower Pet Fountain
Best Budget Pick
6. Pioneer Pet Plastic Drinking Fountain
7. PetSafe Drinkwell Zen Pet Fountain
8. PetSafe Drinkwell Red Avalon Fountain
9. PetSafe Drinkwell Pet Fountain
10. Harmony Premium Ceramic Cat Fountain
Best Cat Drinking Fountains Reviewed
1. Our Top Pick – PetSafe Drinkwell Stainless Multi-Pet Dog and Cat Water Fountain
The Drinkwell 360 from PetSafe is a drinking fountain that has everything your kitties need. From the name, you can understand that it is most suitable for dogs. It holds 128 ounces of water, and has multiple streams which make it more appealing to your pet. It also allows multiple cats to drink at the same time. It includes a replaceable carbon water filter that keeps the water fresh, and a regulator that allows you to adjust the flow rate. This cat fountain is easy to clean. It can be washed in the dishwasher.
The PetSafe Drinkwell 360 is incredibly easy to set up, runs quietly, and has a 360-degree, multi-threaded design which makes it an excellent choice for multiple-pet owners. You can even choose the number of threads (from one to five) yourself. This type of water fountain is great for cats who are reluctant to drink standing water. 
- Constant water circulation
- Simply disassemble the pump to hand wash
- PetSafe brand is been a trusted global leader
- Because of the free-falling water and tall center, the fountain may be too loud for some tastes
2. Our Runner-Up Pick – Cat Mate Pet Fountain
The Cat Mate Pet Fountain will provide your cat with fresh drinking water, with either a fountain or reservoir. It includes fencing to reduce water splashes. The fountain is equipped with a replaceable filter element made of polymer and activated carbon, which keeps the water clean and odorless. The isolated pumping system (ESP) ensures very quiet operation. The pump has a low power supply for the safety of your kitties, and a low power consumption of 2 W.
The fountain bowls can be washed in the dishwasher, which makes them easier to clean. The pump should also be disassembled and cleaned every few weeks to prevent scale formation. Complete instructions on how to do this are attached to the fountain. The guarantee for this fountain is 3 years.
- Ramp reduces water splashing
- Multi-Height drinking stations
- 3 Year Guarantee
- It can be tricky to clean the inside of the fountain
3. Best Gravity – Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer w/ Microban
Petmate replacement Waters with Microban provide a continuous supply of filtered water, so busy pet owners have more free time and pets are left without thirst due to cool, clean water at any time, twenty-four hours a day. Ideal for short-term trips away from home.
The base has Microban antibacterial protection, which helps prevent the appearance of dirt and odor-causing bacteria. This technology provides an additional level of protection against harmful microbes.
- Includes a water filtration system
- 4 size options; 3 color choices
- Made in USA
- Mold may form
4. Best Outdoor – Pecute Cat Water Fountain
This fountain is suitable for both dogs and cats. A reservoir and water fountain for your cute kitties.
This fountain works very quietly. It has three-level filtration, made of polypropylene, activated carbon, and cotton.
Free-flowing water from the fountain continuously adds oxygen to the water, which can increase the water’s oxygen and make drinking water for your cats more sweet and delicious. Allows pets to drink “live,” healthy water.
- 3 drinking zones
- 3-layer filtration
- Eco-friendly ABS material
- The plastic case is easy to tip over
5. Most Quiet – Catit Flower Pet Fountain
This technologically-sophisticated fountain with a unique design will appeal to your furry friend. The water in it remains clean and odorless for a long time.
You can switch between smooth water flow, bubble jet, or powerful jets with three water-flow settings. You can be sure that your pet will get enough water. The triple-action filter removes magnesium, calcium, odors, and dirt. This fountain does not have a mud bowl. Your pet will always drink clean and fresh water.
- Exclusive design
- Provides 3 different water settings
- Easily remove and re-attach
- Some issues with durability
6. Best Budget Pick – Pioneer Pet Plastic Drinking Fountain
Drinking fountains help your animals drink more water because they are attracted to moving water. The Pioneer Pet drinking fountain is very easy to fill and clean. It can be washed in the dishwasher. With plastic design elements, it looks very stylish.
When using electrical appliances, you must always observe basic safety precautions, including reading the instructions carefully before using the device. To reduce the risk of injury, make sure that the appliance is not used near children. Use only components that are recommended or sold by the manufacturer. Only for home use.
- Circulating drinking water is naturally appealing to your pet
- Easy cleaning
- Modern raindrop shape compliments decor of any room
- The BPA-free plastic fountain is less hygienic than its stainless steel or ceramic counterparts
7. Best Stainless-Steel – PetSafe Drinkwell Zen Pet Fountain
The most necessary element for the life of your pets is water. The Drinkwell Zen Pet fountain contains a gallon of water that continually circulates, filters, and oxygenates the water. The circulating stream keeps the water fresh, encouraging pets to drink more. The Zen Pet fountain is dishwasher safe and features a stainless steel shelf.
- Patented free-falling stream entices pets to drink more
- Low-voltage, 12V submersible pump for safe, quiet operation
- Receiving ramp reduces sound and splash of falling water
- Fasteners are not very securely held on the sides
8. Best Automatic – PetSafe Drinkwell Red Avalon Fountain
PetSafe Drinkwell 1/2 Gallon Pet Fountain is designed specifically for your pet. This automatic fountain is equipped with a water-flow regulator. Several operating modes, including silent circulation and high-speed water circulation. The flow controller allows you to adapt the water flow to your pet’s needs.
Water flow adjustment: Adjustable water flow allows you to adjust the flow for you and your pet, or turn it off for the quieter operation.
Promotes drinking – A free-falling stream of water encourages animals to drink more, which helps prevent diseases of the urinary system and kidneys in animals, due to increased hydration.
- 2 drinking areas
- Quiet operation
- The plastic case is easy to tip over
9. Best Cordless – PetSafe Drinkwell Pet Fountain
The Drinkwell ceramic fountain continuously circulates and filters water for your pet, making it cleaner and fresher than in a regular water bowl. The fountain provides your fuzzy friend with 70 ounces of fresh, filtered water, and the ceramic design is easy to clean and looks great in your home. Double free-falling streams saturate the water with freshness and encourage pets to drink more water.
- Water Capacity
- Encourages Hydration
- On the smaller side, with a 70oz water capacity
10. Best Ceramic – Harmony Premium Ceramic Cat Fountain
The Harmony Premium ceramic cat fountain provides your precious kittens with running, filtered water that maintains their water balance. It is equipped with a replaceable carbon filter that removes unpleasant tastes and odors from your cat’s drinking water, ensuring that your cats will drink clean, fresh water every time. This innovative pet water fountain has a non-porous ceramic design that prevents bacteria growth, which contributes to the health of your cat.
- Innovative design allows your cat to drink from 3 areas
- Includes 1 replaceable carbon filter
- Non-porous ceramic construction
- No adjustable flow control
What to look for in a water fountain for cats?
There are many models of cat fountains on the modern pet supplies market. To choose a high-quality and durable device, you need to focus not only on the cost, but also on the size, materials of the case, the availability of replaceable cartridges, and the volume of operation. When buying, pay attention to the following things:
- Dimensions of the fountain. The larger the volume of the device, the more water it will fit. An average tank or bowl will be enough for one or two pets. If there are three or four cats in the house, you should consider purchasing a multi-level fountain system.
- Body material. It is better to choose stable cat fountains made of heavy materials, such as ceramics, porcelain, metal, etc. They are more difficult to move or overturn. But plastic devices are not so practical and often scratch.
- The noise made. Too noisy devices can scare away Pets and discourage them from approaching the drinking bowl. Also, the owner may be uncomfortable with extraneous sounds. Therefore, it is better to choose a device with a volume of no more to 40 dB.
- Cost of replacement cartridges. Water filters need to be changed 1-2 times a month, so they should be affordable. Buy cat fountains from well-known manufacturers so that you don’t have to search for cartridges in different pet stores later.
READ MORE: Dehydration in Cats
The Material of the Device
Most often, plastic, light metals, porcelain, glass, or ceramics are used in the manufacture of water fountains. Depending on the material, devices differ in strength n, weight, and usability. Types of water fountains are:
Plastic water fountains. Water fountains made of plastic are much cheaper than metal and ceramic, but they are inferior in design and practicality. Scratches can form on the surface of the plastic, in which pathogenic bacteria and fungi will multiply with insufficient care. It is better to choose a large kitty drinking fountain with rubber feet to avoid tipping over.
Metal water fountains. Due to the heavy body, drinking water fountains made of metal are much more stable and stronger than plastic ones. They are less susceptible to germs and better retain the freshness of water. However, if there is corrosion, metal devices become dangerous for pets. A good choice is a stainless steel drinking bowl with an additional antibacterial coating.
Porcelain, glass, or ceramic cat fountain. These drinking fountains are resistant to overturning, have a stylish design and a strong body. However, because of the rough surface, porcelain and ceramic devices are at risk of mold. Therefore, it is better to choose a fountain with a special enamel. Do not use dishes that have cracks or chips.
With proper care, any material will last a long time and will not harm your pet. The main rule is not to use raw tap water and to change it often. Veterinarians know the importance of hydration to maintain healthy kidney and urinary tract functioning. Pets who are prone to urinary infections, crystals, or obstructions need to drink lots of water to prevent health problems. 
If you don’t know where to start your search, let us take some pressure off. We reviewed dozens of top-rated cat water fountains to identify the best of the best. We looked at all types of filters, variable speeds of water, and gravity water dispensers to find something that will best fit your needs.
READ MORE: Cats Nutrition Guide
Benefits of water fountains
Automatic cat fountains are sold in almost every pet store. They are easy to use, and do not require constant water changes.
- Pets get round-the-clock access to purified water.
- An interesting design attracts cats and encourages them to consume the necessary amount of water.
- Availability of multi-level filtration systems.
- In cat fountains, water does not stagnate and is constantly saturated with oxygen.
- If the tank is large enough, you don’t have to top up the water constantly.
- Automatic devices are easy to operate and save the owner time.
- Fountains are versatile and suitable for pets of all ages and sizes.
- When you turn off the electricity to the fountain stops and access to water becomes impossible.
- You should periodically change the cartridges and clean the tank.
- Loud noise from the device may scare away pets.
- High price, compared to conventional bowls.
Fresh water should be available at all times. Healthy cats that eat canned food often drink very little because the food contains a high proportion of water. Automatic fountains are much better at keeping water fresh, thanks to constant circulation. They are convenient to use and allow you to save time. For cats, you need to choose stable models with rubberized legs. Additional filtration will help protect your pet from gastrointestinal diseases. Despite the apparent simplicity of the device, it is necessary to observe the operating rules and change the water in the tank in time. This way, the cat waterer will last a long time and remain effective.
How to teach a cat to use a cat water fountain?
First, draw the cat’s attention to the purchased fountain, put it in the place where the old drinking bowl was. The usual bowl of water should not be removed immediately from its place. Leave it where it was, it is necessary until the pet is completely accustomed to the new drinking bowl.
It will be very difficult to train an adult cat to an automatic model. With small kittens, the process will be faster and easier.
How to clean a cat water fountain?
When cleaning the fountain, follow the instructions for disassembling the cleaning device. Basic household supplies such as salt, baking soda, vinegar, and lemons are great for removing hard water stains.
Some commercial cleaning products are also available, but natural solutions work as well. Always unplug the device from the mains and remove the filter before trying to clean your cat’s fountain.
How often to change the water?
Change the water every 2-4 weeks. The frequency of this procedure depends on the volume of the tank in the design and the direct number of cats in the house who use the water bottle.
- “Choosing a Water Bowl for Your Cat.” Purina, purina.co.uk/cats/health-and-nutrition/daily-feeding-guide/cat-water-bowls.
- How to Encourage Your Cat to Drink | International Cat Care. 2 Dec. 2019, icatcare.org/advice/how-to-encourage-your-cat-to-drink/.
- “Thirsty Cat – Is It Just Hot or Is Something Up?” Vetwest Animal Hospitals, 25 Mar. 2020, vetwest.com.au/pet-library/thirsty-cat-is-it-just-hot-or-is-something-up.
- Cat, Caring. “Caring for Your Sick Cat.” Vca_corporate, vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/managing-the-sick-cat.
ThePets is an informational website that features articles written by qualified veterinarians and professional writers. You can learn more about our editorial process. When selecting food for your pet, use Pet Food Finder, and search for the clinic to treat your pet using Vet Clinics Locator.
You May Also Like
TOP-20 Best Small Breed Puppy Food
TOP 25 Best Dry Dog Foods
Dr. Linda Simon
TOP-15 Best Automatic Cat Feeders 2021
Best Puppy Food – 2021 Reviews
Dr. Sara Ochoa
Best CBD Oil for Dogs
TOP-20 Best Dry Puppy Food
Best Senior Dog Food: Review
TOP-10 Best Aquarium Canister Filters